On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:34:14 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>... Not to mention that time in microseconds since 1900 would have fit in a
>64-bit integer.

With a several thousand year range.  And when another choice was made
there were many extant birth dates and contract dates prior to 1900.  I
still feel that ETOD should be made signed to accommodate historic dates.

>Of course, ease of conversion and formatting is/was also a factor. The year
>could have been stored in binary, but that might have required conversion from
>and to decimal as punched into Hollerith cards and printed on reports.

IBM, more than most other suppliers, was swayed by a desire that the
storage format be human-readable.  I suspect this was the motive for
making packed decimal sign-magnitude rather than 10s-complement
which would have provided 5 times the range in the same storage and
avoided the need for a recomplement when the result has unexpected
sign.

-- gil