It's a modern day cottage industry--or hobby maybe--to excoriate our foremoms
and foredads for the reckless choice they made decades ago to store dates in
two-digit format. Making our lives miserable in the process. OTOH I remember
reading some diary excerpts from US Civil War soldiers who routinely recorded
dates as 61, 63, and so on.

Suppose you were an influencer in, say, 1975. Would you walk into an
application design meeting and propose *any* change to date representation?
There were already countless date fields stored in other intersecting
applications. Those would have to change also or be interfaced only with
conversion routines.

I think the only point in IT history where a radical change actually made sense
was just when it happened: right ahead of the wrecking ball. And rather than
saturate the landscape with a gajillion *useless* year digits, many companies
were content to implement sliding windows that permanently solved the problem
with minimal extra storage space.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson