Gil provided a promising-looking code snippet, which I tried. Alas, no change!
(I did have to fix the %s to %S, so I'm 100% sure I picked up the change-I'm
cross-compiling using Dignus, which always adds that bit of vagary: did you get
the right object? Etc.).

I don't think I missed anything (I'm still forcing CST6CDT; once I get it
working, I'll worry about how to set that):
  time_t ltime;

  static char hhmmss[9];

  struct tm *tmptr;

   time(&ltime);                                     /* Get the time */

   setenv("TZ","CST6CDT",1);

   tzset();

   tmptr = localtime(&ltime);               /* Convert to local time */

   strftime( hhmmss, 9, "%H:%M:%S\0", tmptr );

   return(hhmmss);                            /* Return the hh:mm:ss */

I still get GMT. This is making me feel VERY stupid. I will look at using MVS
TIME next.