I've recently done some similar programming.  After some false starts, I
decided it was easier to just use BPAM for the output.

One gotcha... OPEN for input will abend if the member name doesn't exist,
even with DSORG=PO.  So, I had to modify the JFCB to allow that (and
JFCNWRIT on!).  Subsequently, the BLDL returns "not found", but my program
is OK with that.  I then create & STOW the member as new.  And then, the
next program that OPENs as MACRF=GL works great.

If I understand what you want to do, I think you'll need two DCBs, first
the QSAM to write the member, CLOSE it, then OPEN with BPAM to BLDL & STOW
to add the stats to the directory entry.  Again, I decide it was easier to
write the BPAM WRITE/CHECK logic.

sas