Paul, the iana.org time database is one of many attempts at solving the time
issue. Databases and other multi-user products have their own implementations
to deal with their specific situation. Mysql is open source so you can see
their implementation.
For the difficult situations, we just accept an acceptable solution.
Jon.

This is addressed by:  https://www.iana.org/time-zones

>As for localtime better than the z/OS implementation, that's silly. First, bad
>is still bad. Second, C local time is a language feature instead of OS
>feature.

Only because you call it so.  The TIME macro is a language (HLASM) feature
instead of OS feature.

Third, it was designed around a specific Unix feature (environment variables).
It needs redesign for use in CICS, IMS and most z/OS components.

There are other ways to pass such a parameter.  It could be a PARMLIB entry.

-- gil