On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 7:18 AM Raphael Jacquot <sxp...@sxpert.org> wrote:

> On 8/22/19 2:07 PM, John McKown wrote:
> > https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/20/ibm_openpower_isa/
> >
> > Basically, from what I read, this means that other companies can produce
> > competing chips which implement the Power ISA, without requiring a
> license.
> > It is more likely that the Sun will become a supernova than IBM would
> > "open" the IBM z ISA.
> >

> did the competition (amdahl & others) had a "license" to produce
> mainframes ?

Good question. I was told that the 3rd party CPU hardware parties quit when
XA came out do to some change. But I don't know if it was licensing, or
maybe some patent, or just too expensive in the R&D area. Maybe that is why
IBM doesn't go after Hercules/390.

--
I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go
into the library and read a good book

Maranatha! <><
John McKown