On a related subject:   it would be fantastic IMO to patch bash for z/OS so
that it used local spawn and followed _BPX_SHAREAS rules.   It would
perform better and also allow you to use DD's in batch shell scripts like
you can with the z/OS UNIX shell.

Unfortunately, bash is pretty complicated software, and updating it to do
this is not at all easy because of the difference in semantics between
fork()/exec() and spawn().