On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:13:35 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> In AMODE 24, BALR sets bit 32 to 0;

Yes, and BAL sets it to 1, for the same reason. As I stated, "for 24-bit mode,
bits 32-33 are 01 after BALR and 10 after BAL"

> in AMODE 31 to 1.  I have used this to detect AMODE in code that had to run in
> both XA and 370 without causing a program check.

Try that with a BAL instead of a BALR and see what happens.

There are an infinite number of things that won't work.  Why should
I try any of them?

And I no longer have a 370 and an XA to test with.

-- gil

(Why is LISTSERV WWW not quoting your text when I reply?)