On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 19:56:57 -1000, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

>in the wake of the FS faulure (FS was going to be completely different
>than 370, and 370 efforts were being shutdown during FS period, also
>lack of 370 offerings during FS period is credited with giving clone
>mainframe vendors market foothold), there was mad rush to get stuff back
>into 370 product pipeline ... 303x and 3081 Q&D efforts were kicked off
>in parallel. 3081 included 370/xa, 31bit addressing and "access
>registers" (subsystems had their own virtual address space, but could
>use "access registers" to access "parameter" storage in application
>address space). All this was known informally as "811" for the Nov1978
>publication date of the architecture specification documents.

I don't know about IBM internal plans or discussions, but Access Registers
and AR mode were not publicly announced as part of 370/XA. They were
first documented in the Enterprise System Architecture/370 Principles of
Operation, SA22-7200-0, which can be found at
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/princOps/SA22-7200-0_370-ESA_Principles_of_Operation_Aug88.pdf

Appendix D of that manual describes differences between 370-XA and ESA/370. On
page D-1 it has this:

<quote>
New Facilities in ESA/370
The following facilities are new in ESA/370 and are
not provided in 370-XA. Access registers, home
address space, linkage stack, and load and store
using real address are provided by all ESA/370
models. Move with source or destination key and
private space are provided by some ESA/370 models.
</quote>

>In part because of the increasing threat of CSA increasing to 8mbytes
>for larger 3033 customers, a subset of "access registers" was
>retrofitted to 3033 as "dual-address space" mode ... subsystems could
>have their own address space, but also a 2nd address space to access
>calling application parameters directly ... w/o needing CSA space.
>
>In 370 (3033) dual-address space mode ... there still wasn't program
>call, but a supervisor call which in software would move the application
>space address space to secondary and then load the subsystem address
>space and enter the called subsystem. In 370/xa and "access register"
>program call had a system defined table with all the necessary
>information to do that function directly as part of the program call
>instruction (whether implemented in hardware, microcode, picocode and/or
>some combination)

To clarify a bit, there was no Linkage Stack until ESA/370, and hence no
stacking PC.

--
Tom Marchant