On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 14:18:30 -0500, Tony Harminc wrote:

>Many programs that are customarily started from a shell prompt don't
>have to be. Often this is just UNIXism at play. I have had success in
>the past copying UNIX executable files (i.e. Program Objects in UNIX
>files) into PDSE members, and running them from batch JCL or the TSO
>CALL command.

Conversely, I perceive the prolix BPXBATCH thread(s) as just JCLism
at play.

How well do descriptors 0, 1, and 2 work for a UNIX executable copied
to a PDSE and run from JCL?

What are the arguments for JCL (and BPXBATCH, AOPBATCH, COZBATCH,
BPXWUNIX, ..., RYO)?  I could envision:

o Multi-step jobs in which the non-UNIX-oriented steps are most naturally
  coded as JCL

o Process requirements that production jobs be submitted by a Scheduler
  which understands only JCL

o Other (specify)

ISPF Edit provides good support for creating shell scripts using a familiar
Classic editor (especially if your terminal emulator supports IBM-1047).

-- gil