sme...@gmu.edu (Seymour J Metz) writes:
> Of course, IBM does not claim that those numbers reflect a Meaningless
> Indicator of Processor Speed (MIPS), but rather a well defined (LSPR
> ITR) benchmark.

Jim Gray was one of the primary behind people original SQL/RDBMS,
System/R ... and then left IBM Research (trying to palm off bunch of
stuff on me) for Tandem, then DEC, then microsoft.

One of the things he did starting while at Tandem was standardized DBMS
trasnaction benchmarks
http://www.tpc.org/information/who/gray.asp
https://jimgray.azurewebsites.net/

numbers per system, numbers per total system cost $$$, and more recently
numbers per power.

both cluster supercomputer(grid) and cloud megadatacenter so
significantly drop system costs (claim for over a decade that they
assemble blade systems for 1/3rd cost of brand name systems) ... that
power/cooling was becoming increasingly major part of
total-cost-of-ownership.

I continued to see some mainframe industry standard TPC numbers up to
some time last decade ...  but haven't found anything since then. past
published numbers of mainframe "MIPS" (now BIPS)
z900, 16 processors, 2.5BIPS (156MIPS/proc), Dec2000
z990, 32 processors, 9BIPS, (281MIPS/proc), 2003
z9, 54 processors, 18BIPS (333MIPS/proc), July2005
z10, 64 processors, 30BIPS (469MIPS/proc), Feb2008
z196, 80 processors, 50BIPS (625MIPS/proc), Jul2010
EC12, 101 processors, 75BIPS (743MIPS/proc), Aug2012
z13, 140 processors, 100BIPS (710MIPS/proc), Jan2015
z14, 170 processors, 150BIPS (862MIPS/proc), Aug2017

2010 was when they published z196 "peak I/O" benchmark getting 2M
IOPS using 104 FICON (protocol running over industry fibre channel
standard). This was also about the same time that a fibre channel was
announced for E5-2600 blade claiming over million IOPS (for single fibre
channel, two such having higher throughput than 104 FICON running over
104 fibre channel).

At the time, E5-2600 blades had benchmarks of 400BIPS-530BIPS (depending
on model, industry standard is number of iterations compared to
370/158-3 assumed to be 1MIPS) ... and at the time IBM base list price
for E5-2600 blade was $1815 (about $3/BIPS) compared to $30M for max
configured z196 (or about $600,000/BIPS, not including devices, software
and services).  It was not long later that server chip makers announce
they were shipping over half their product directly to cloud
megadatacenters (where they assemble for 1/3rd the cost of brand named
servers, 1/3rd IBM's $3/BIPS is $1/BIPS), and IBM sells off its server
business.

trivia: cache miss, memory latency ... when measured in number of
processor cycles ... is compareable to 60s disk I/O latency when
measured in count of 60s processor cycles. z196 claim is over half the
z10->196 per processor improvement (469MIPS to 625MIPS) is the
introduction of memory latency compensating technology (that have been
in other platforms for decades), out-of-order execution, hyperthreading,
branch prediction, etc. ... sort of hardware equivalent to 60s
multitasking.

FICON trivia: 1980s, STL was bursting at the seams and they were moving
300 people from the IMS group to offsite bldg (with dataprocessing back
to STL datacenter). They tried "remote" 3270s ... but found human
factors horrible compared to local channel-attached controllers in the
bldg. I get con'ed into doing channel-extender support allowing local
channel-attached controllers to be placed at the offsite bldg (and don't
see any difference in human factors between local and offiste). The
hardware vendor tries to get IBM approval to ship my support, but a
group in POK playing with some serial stuff, get it vetoed because they
were afraid that it would make it harder to ship their stuff. In 1988,
I'm asked to help LLNL (national lab) standardize some serial stuff they
are playing with, which quickly becomes fibre channel standard
(including some stuff I did in 1980). The POK people finally get their
stuff released in 1990 with ES/9000 as ESCON when it is already
obsolete. Later some POK people become involved in fibre channel
standard and define a heavy-weight protocol that drastically reduces the
native I/O throughput that eventually ships as FICON.