On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 1:21 PM Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 12:43:26 -0600, John McKown wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 12:18 PM Tom Marchant wrote:
> >
> >> We have a multitasking address space in which we would like to
> >> call sort to sort somewhere around a half a million entries.
> >> There is a possibility that more than one task might need to
> >> call sort. Will this cause a problem if one task calls sort
> >> while sort is active for another task? A customer could be
> >> using any of the available sort products.
> >
> >IIRC, with DFSORT, you can do that. But each must: 1) use a separate set
> of
> >DDs for SORTWORK;
> >
> Won't DFSORT manage the SORTWORKs?

I don't really know. I've never done this. I vaguely remember from long ago
that I was told to do it.

> >2) use different DDs for SORTIN, SORTOUT and perhaps
> >DFSPARM (if used).; 3) If you use any exit(s) in differents, the exit code
> >will need to be truly RE-ENTRANT; 4) The address space must have
> >enough virtual storage. BTW - do you mean sort 1_000_000 entries, or
> >1_000_000 invocations of DFSORT? I think the same restrictions will be in
> >effect for SYNCSORT as well.
> >
> Is BPX1FRK or BPX1EXM to create additional address spaces a possible
> alternative?
> o It avoids the virtual storage constraint.
> o It avoids DDNAME collision.
> o But allocations must be performed anew for child processes.

I like that, but it's not what the OP asked and I am not "up to snuff" this
week. Just the winter blues. It also depends on the UNIX setup. And on the
z/OS resources.

> -- gil

People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><
John McKown