Thanks. I looked at the IBM documentation

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg28c04fa949ae402ed85258194006c7b9b&aid=1

Not an easy read by any means and it seems the 72 hours limit on CPE won't
work for our environment.

So the only option appears to be OOCoD.

Interesting for CBU you can upgrade from a base machine to any model so
long as it does not require adding more hardware but for OOCoD you can only
go up 100%