From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: COPYING PDS TO PDS ...

PDS & PDSE per se have always supported any 8 bytes as member names with
the exception of x'FFFFFFFF'.  The name restrictions imposed by JCL, etc.
are their own thing, for their own reasons.  Anyone capable of writing BPAM
code could use or abuse this however it suits them.  As previously
mentioned, old SMP did with wild abandon.

sas