OK, so you said transmit via open system.

IMHO, The easiest way is to use IDCAMS to REPRO the file to a flat file
(RECFM=V). Then, ZIP the file, and send it over the open systems, which
should have no problem with a ZIP file. When it gets to the far end (VSE),
just unzip it and use IDCAMS REPRO to load it back into a variable file.

Joe