Basically, any printable character is any character with a recognized
value in your selected character set and excludes the control
characters X'00'- X'1F' (in UTF-8, ASCII, and all EBCDIC code pages).
Bell, Carriage Return, Line Feed, Vertical Tab, Page Feed are some
assigned printer control characters that would be included in a
constant or variable for a print statement.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:03 PM Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> It's true, "non-printable" begs the question of "what printer?" I have seen
> character sets that included little 2-character "hex" glyphs that could
> therefore "print" or represent any byte value. I work mostly in C++ so I tend
> to think in terms of the C library. The standard C library has a Boolean
> function isprint(). I just looked up the spec for that function and it is so
> self-referential as to be useless: Test for a printable character including
> space, as defined in the print locale source file and in the print class of
> the LC_CTYPE category of the current locale. (i.e., printable means
> printable). And I just looked up the Microsoft definition and it is even more
> convoluted and effectively useless. Still, I think "printable character" is
> useful: I think most people have a good general idea of what it means. But
> granted it is not so precise as, say, alphanumeric.
>
> Charles

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA