On 2019-12-17 17:42, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
I thought I know this stuff, but my employer's z/OS V2.2 system is saying I
don't.

I have a simple one-step PROC which executes a COBOL program but has no keyword
parameters on the EXEC  statement, like this:

//MYPROC  PROC OUT=*
//MYPGM   EXEC PGM=MYPGM
//SYSOUT  DD  SYSOUT=&OUT
//  PEND

MYPGM is compiled with COBOL V5.2 and has a LINKAGE SECTION like this:

        LINKAGE SECTION.
        01  PARM-FIELDS.
            05  PARM-LENGTH         PIC S9(04) COMP.
            05  PARM-AREA           PIC  X(25).

When I code the following execution of MYPROC, there is apparently NO PARM
passed to MYPGM:

//STEP01  EXEC MYPROC,PARM.MYPGM='PARM,DATA,'

When displayed by the program, PARM-LENGTH has a value of (decimal) +10 but
when PARM-AREA is displayed it shows unprintable hex characters.

.......÷.........Ùf&....".0
0000003E000000000F8500007FF
0A000101000000000D600000FF0

Am I crazy?  Shouldn't PARM-AREA in this case print as "PARM,DATA,"?  The hex
data that prints instead looks to me suspiciously like the contents of address 0 in the
LPAR, but I could be wrong about that.

Pete

What happens if you use:

//STEP01  EXEC MYPROC,PARM.MYPGM='/PARM,DATA,'

--

Regards, Gord Tomlin
Action Software International