From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 12:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Backward compat--how far?

We experienced a lot of brouhaha during Y2K preparation over the ancient and
venerable TSO Utilities: COPY/MERGE/... Their link edit dates were in the early
1970s. We had to fight up the chain of command to avoid deleting them. Of
course they work as well--or poorly--today as they did in 1999. Sometimes
reason can prevail.

As for ISAM, IBM provided a transparent conversion to VSAM in the 1980s. No
application code changes, but a huuuge improvement in performance. No charge.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company