On Fri, 3 Jan 2020, at 00:49, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

> The problem for us was not "how" to fix a single instance of the
> problem, but finding "where" to fix an unknown number of instances of
> the problem in 1000's of lines of in-house code and in associated data sets.

I think how complex this was depended a lot on how old a site's applications
were.  It also depended on how long the 'tail' or archived data was.

Suppose you identified all the instances of a single date data column in a
single
current file that might be read and rewritten by umpteen programs.  If you
changed all the programs you'd also need either to change the data in all
the archived files as well, or make the program able to decide whether it
was running in pre-change or post-change mode.

But you'd also need to change all the other programs that also read those
old archive files.  And that might have knpck-on effects on other files that
they manipulated.

While doing this, you also had to make sure that - if your change failed -
you could back it out and create/recreate all the related files.

It's rapidly obvious that you can't change all old files in sync with a series
of program changes and still allow all your old, or not-yet-changed
programs to process the old files (because you changed those).

That's why the date-window approach got  used.  The as-yet-unchanged
programs could contine to read all the archived data, while the updated
programs could handle the old-format data more intelligently.

If I remember correctly, one of the changes that happened (to customer
TS&Cs) was that we no longer supported customers aged > 100.  I have
no idea what they were meant to do with their money.

Where I worked (a UK bank), Y2K was a big deal.  A colossal amount of work
was done in the two or so years beforehand, and on the night the computer
centre was heavily staffed - not quite as many of us as on a normal day, but
nevertheless lots.

We had by then run simulated workloads back and forth across the date
change many times, as well as checking things like how end-of-financial/
tax year/calendendar year processing could be expected to go (at eg end
of March 2000, 5/6 April 2000, 31 Dec 2000) and I expect beyond that as
eg programmes doing 2-year, 5-year etc historical reports and those doing
forecasting that might not run until some months later also needed to be
thought to be ok.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.