tcpip stack on z is just a proof that IBM recognized that the 70's passed.
some of you may remember that while the industry standard was x.25, IBM
decided that if you want to connect to a mainframe, you need to play IBM's
game of SNA. If IBM was rolling the market, these days, we might be still
stack with SNA...

ITschak

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:40 PM Knutson, Samuel <
samuel.knut...@compuware.com> wrote:

> In my opinion IBM helped to save the mainframe when they included a
> built-in highly performant TCP/IP stack in the operating system.    Making
> the mainframe a more mainstream hardware server and more importantly a
> mainstream software server that communications, API implementations and
> development practices as any other makes it viable for another 50 years.
> The alternative path was for it to become a truly niche isolated platform
> or for this core capability to be supplied by third party software.  We saw
> that same evolution on other platforms if anyone remembers "Trumpet
> Winsock"😊
>
> The mainframe remains the most securable platform today.   z/OS in
> particular handles TCP/IP in a securable way allowing very granular
> controls of which application containers can connect to which ports.  IBM
> has a published integrity policy which is applicable to the entire OS
> including TCP/IP.   The most concerning security problems on the mainframe
> are not caused by TCP/IP but by Apathy, laziness, false confidence and
> ignorance.  OEM TCP/IP stacks would have provided this capability and
> already were when IBM introduced TCP/IP in z/OS.  You can make a reasoned
> argument that by incorporating TCP/IP as part of the operating system IBM
> has insured it has security and integrity equal to the balance of the
> operating system.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sam Knutson

ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring
for Legacy **|  *