>So, how does one rollout maintenance in a sysplex one system at a time without
>disrupting the ability to access these products?

The way I do it for the links that weren't totally screwed up when I started
here:
at /usr/lpp I mount a 'links'-ZFS, i.e. /usr/lpp/java gets an
OMVS.&SYSR2.JAVA.LINKS ZFS mounted. The actual Java-versions are then mounted
'inside' that LINKS-ZFS. For version changes of Java all I need to do is
unmount the old one, set a new mount point for the new version and off I go.
For refresh of an existing Java version, I put in a new &SYSR2 LINKS ZFS since
I normally refresh Java together with z/OS when &SYSR2 changes anyway. Any
other ZFS name (different from the old one) would do it, too, but then I need
to remember to update BPXPRMxx.

So the 'trick' is not to mount to usr/lpp directly but instead mount another
ZFS at the appropriate usr/lpp mount point and mount the product off from there.

Regards, Barbara