From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Bob
Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 3:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Attitude of companies toward mainframers working from home?

I think WFH is one place where, especially, everyone's different.  For a few
years one of my employers had a bunch of us developers working in a cubicle
environment where the walls were only waist-high.  I've heard since then that
many folks hate that sort of thing, but the most inconvenient part of it, for
my money, was that I had less space on which to pin up reference pages and
racks for various bits of equipment (pens, a forms ruler, highlighters etc,
fashioned from repurposed paper clips).  What most people complained about, the
distraction, turned out not to bother me at all; there was a continual
background of light chatter in which I could participate or not.  I found it
very pleasant.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you if you don't;
just "folks are different".

(Some years ago _60 Minutes_ apparently did a segment on adults who probably
had ADD when they were kids, before ADD was a thing.  I missed it, but for
months after that friends and family members exclaimed to me "Did you see that
60-Minutes episode?  They had a picture of Bob Bridges on that show!".  I
gather people who had ADD before it became a fashionable diagnosis simply had
to learn to focus without drugs.  Whether for that or some other reason, noise
just doesn't bother me.)

So you'd think I'd hate working from home, but no.  Sometimes I play loud music
(and sometimes I set the work aside, pick up my recorder and wail along with
the music), sometimes I put leftovers in the microwave, sometimes I take a call
from one of my kids.  But mostly I'm at my desk, plugging away until all hours
of the night.  I have to remind myself to get up and leave the house
occasionally - which I read recently is a good idea for WFHers anyway.

Maybe it's like the old principle of "dressing for work".  One argument I used
to hear in favor of wearing ties at work is that it's a sort of mental
discipline:  If you're dressed to relax, you won't be mentally prepared to
work.  The argument made sense to me, but once my employers started allowing
jeans and T-shirts at work I found that (in my case at least) it didn't hold
water.  Again, I don't doubt that some sort of recognized work attire works
better for some people, but I don't seem to be a clothes person.  YMMV.

Just fortunate, I guess.  If I hated my job, I'll bet I'd be much more
opinionated about which conditions help or hinder.

---

/* Democracy is where you can say what you think even if you don't think. */