On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 14:19:08 +0000, Pommier, Rex wrote:

>...  the root filesystem pax.Z file is actually being sent in 11 pieces, each
>at 512 MB.  The root is over 5 GB so the file is transferred in 11 chunks then
>assembled on site in the Unix filesystem.  The assembly part is what appears
>to be failing so all the parts did get transferred successfully.   I found all
>11 chunks that make up the root filesystem.

I'm curious.  In POSIX

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/pax.html#tag_20_92_03

I  see:
    A single archive can span multiple files. The pax utility shall determine,
in an
    implementation-defined manner, what file to read or write as the next file.

I can't find that implementation-definition in the Command Ref.  Where is it?

"shall" means a requirement, not a suggestion.

-- gil