From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
John McKown
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 12:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: OT: Mandatory Work From Home at my company

**CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:04 AM Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working from home for the past ten years or so, and haven't
> found it boring yet.  But that's just me.

I get bored because I'm alone, and am used to the chatter. And, right now, not
much is going on, so I'm mainly idle.

> My team lead at one client told me they're all starting WFH this week.
> In his case he has something like an hour commute, so it's a blessing
> for him.  I told him that it may very well work out to be permanent,
> even after the corona thingy is over.  At least, in my experience when
> someone works from home, it started because of some need - pregnancy,
> recovering from surgery, maybe a broken leg or something - and once
> the recovery period was over the boss said "oh, just keep on with it,
> this is working fine".  There are advantages to having people on-site,
> but they're often offset by the reduced expense of the extra cubicle -
> which is not just square footage and a few cubicle walls, but also a
> phone line, two or three data lines, power etc, and maintenance of
> same including evening cleanup.  I've never managed an office but I
> gather it adds up to an amount that can be surprising to a worker bee like me
> to tends not to notice his surroundings.

I don't see how I can't have a company phone line. No way I am taking company
calls on my personal cell. And the reason that I got a personal cell in the
first place is that the company took away all company supplied cell phones. I
am not going to have every <redacted> vendor marketing monkey calling me on
_MY_ phone.

The way WFH works right now here is via Remote Desktop Gateway, so I still need
a desktop at work. The LAN people, at present, are saying no "virtual
desktops", so I need an actual PC somewhere in the building. And someone to
reboot it when Windows freezes or goes walkabout. We have a VPN, but not enough
licenses (seats) for everyone. And, again, the company is NOT going to "own" my
PC by insisting on specific software, including networking monitoring software,
be installed on my personal property. One guy was raked over the coals for
having a lot of traffic to Chinese sites -- his wife is Chinese and was using
their PC. I will insist on a company supplied & maintained PC, which I would
only use for work, in this case. Which means there needs to be someone to
maintain the PC if there is a problem with it.
I won't try to fix company property.

I could well be off base, the company in the past (before the current
owner) tended to go cheap, not frugal.

--
People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><

lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL
EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected
emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.