> What I don't understand is where the ampersand and dot are coming from in the
> displayed result.

The ampersand and dot are coming from MVSVAR. Technically that complies with
the "unpredictable" in the REXX reference manual. Personally I think that they
should document it, but I can't justify calling it a documentation error.

> So I suggest showing what hapens with just one value - a valid symbol
> name - with and without single quotes.

Technically there is only one value; that value includes spaces and ampersands.
I'd like to see what happens when the value has ampersands and expands to a
valid symbol name, e.g., IEASYMxx contains
SYMDEF(&BAR='BAZ')
SYMDEF(&FOOBAZ='SNAFU')

%SYMSUB FOO&BAR

--