[Default] On 7 Apr 2020 09:58:43 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
sasd...@gmail.com (Steve Smith) wrote:

>Really?  40-year-old mainframes? That's close to impossible, and certainly
>ridiculous.  I'm sure many of you remember better than me, but 1980 was the
>era of needing a megawatt or so to generate 20 MIPS or something like
>that.  If you could find the parts and the expertise to keep it going.

Not only that but we don't have enough information to tell what the
true problems are.  If the need is for programmers, then they need
people who know the systems so either retired programmers or those who
have moved on from dealing with the respective systems.  It is no time
to get people who need to learn the systems no matter how much they
know COBOL.  The other need is for those who can assess what is needed
to handle the drastically increased volume and work with the equipment
and abilities to transparently upgrade it.  Note we don't know if the
mainframes are IBM, Unisys or some other vendor.  We also don't know
if the operating system, compilers, database management systems, etc.
are still within support.

Clark Morris