One or the other, not both.  It's OK to use either/or on a catalog by catalog
basis, but you cannot double down.  Reference z/OS 2.2.0 DFSMS Managing
Catalogs -  Accessing Catalogs for Record Level Sharing, Restrictions:

* Master catalogs are currently not supported in RLS mode. Ensure that any
catalog in RLS mode is not being shared as a master catalog by any system in
the plex.
* RLS protocol cannot be used simultaneously with either ECS or VVDS protocol
for a catalog. This is enforced by the SMSVSAM address space. If you attempt to
use a catalog currently in RLS mode from a non-RLS system in the sysplex, the
associated catalog request will fail with return code RC4 and reason code
RSN124. If a catalog is currently in either ECS mode or VVDS mode and is shared
by a system that cannot support RLS for catalogs, the attempt to use the
catalog in RLS mode will also fail with return code RC4 and reason code RSN124.

To place a catalog in RLS, it must be SMS-managed, and the SMSVSAM server must
be active on all systems in the sysplex. You can move a catalog in and out or
RLS mode with RLSQUIESCE and RLSENABLE, for emergency or maintenance purposes,
but it's not recommended to do so frequently.

We put all of our user catalogs in RLS, except for two specific catalogs with
system-critical dataset entries, that don't get hit that often.  These are in
VLF.  RLS seems to be the better performing option for us.

Art Gutowski
General Motors, LLC