Packed decimal has been around since the beginning of time. Having
dedicated instructions like the vector packed decimal ones only arrived
with the Z14 and later mainframes,l And the point of the article I quoted
was, with ARCH(12) and a Z14 Cobol code was timed as running up to 2x as
fast as ARCH(11).  So as has been said, if you have a Z14 or later and are
not recompiling your code, you are potentially leaving MSU's on the table.