When connecting to z/OS (USS) using ssh, I'd like the USS shell to handle keys
the same way Ubuntu does. I have these settings:

echo $TERM displays xterm-color256
echo $SHELL displays /bin/sh

Specifically, I'd like:

a) The cursor-up key to perform the "history-search-backward" function
b) The cursor-down key to perform the "history-search-forward" function
c) The cursor-left and cursor-right keys to move thru the command just retrieved
d) To be able to change the command by moving the cursor and typing over the
retrieved command

I've been able to use stty erase ^? in /etc/profile to set the backspace key,
but my attempts at using ~/.inputrc to control the cursor keys have been
unsuccessful. Trying different terminal types (eg export TERM=xterm or export
TERM=vt100) has also not helped.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Best Regards,
Wendell Lovewell