For several years now, I have been using the counter CGI provided by
Sterling Software for one of my web pages. This produced a small xbitmap
graphic. About six weeks ago, Internet Explorer stopped displaying the
counter, although it continued to display in Opera.

After looking around a bit and not finding any good reason for why this
happened, I decided to create a new CGI to generate a Portable Network
Graphics file. This is now working, and if anyone would like a copy,
please let me know off list.

There are two programs: COUNTER2 VIWCGI, and PNGGEN EXEC. PNGGEN is a
generalized PNG data stream generator which takes a simple bit map as
input. If you happen to need a CRC32 or Adler32 algorithm in REXX, then
this EXEC has them! COUNTER2 comes with 14 pixel high and 9 pixel high
graphics, with 'easy to create your own' font capability. (It took me
about two hours to create the 9 pixel font.) With the change to PNG
format comes colour, with your choice of sixteen predefined colours for
text and background, and you can easily create your own custom colours.
Both programs come with comments, so that hopefully you can understand
what I am trying to do.

For those looking for a challenge, I did not implement filtering or
compression in PNGGEN. Once those two are added, it would be very nice
if it was rewritten in Assembler.

As always, no warranty, express or implied.

Peter

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action
intended recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
The integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the
Internet.  The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail, or
for the consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.
 The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.