Hi, Brian.

If what you are using DDR for is just to do full minidisk dumps to tape; then I would suggest that you take a look at the PIPE trackread/tracksquish/trackwrite stages. These stages read and write (e)CKD type dasd tracks, and are documented in the PIPELINE News file found here:

http://vm.marist.edu/~pipeline/pipeline.news

Of course, they integrate with PIPES a lot better than plain DDR does, so you can do things like write a minidisk dump to two separate tapes at the same time, use the TCPxxxx stages to send a disk dump over the network, etc.

Hope this help.

DJ
Brian Nielsen wrote:
I've been writing some programs to improve our DDR backup process and have run into an issue using DDR in a pipeline. I'm using the following pipe to capture the output from DDR:

/* save the DDR output */ 'PIPE', 'CMS DDR DDR CNTRL' o_fm,
  '| CONS',
'| >>' log_fid, '| stem ddr_output.'
The DDR CNTRL file might look like this:

SYSPRINT CONS INPUT 190 DASD ZZZZZZ OUTPUT 181 TAPE (LEAVE DUMP ALL

Two problems are:
1) DDR does not send any messages into the pipeline until the DDR is complete, whereas prompts display immediatly on the terminal. So there is no information from non-prompt messages, such as

     "HCPDDR711D VOLID READ IS MNT190 NOT ZZZZZZ"

on which to base decisions in real time if prompted.

2) Prompt messages are never sent to the pipeline.

Is there any way to get DDR to play nicely in a pipeline? It would be nice to be able to insert additional code in the pipe to know in real time when unpredictable events happen after the dump has started (such as END OF VOLUME).

If not, are there any available methods to programatically capture and process DDR messages as they occur? Obviously, the simpler the better.

Brian Nielsen