Alan:

Thanks for the info. The system in question is a second-level z/VM 5.1 guest, set up as a bare [virtual] metal installation - no upgrade, no cross-pollination from other pre-existing systems.

I have, meanwhile, run across a copy of the MAINT 19E from a much older VM/ESA 2.4.0 system which included a copy of an earlier version of the C compiler. I established a short time ago that it's possible to use the back-level compiler (5654-033 V3R1M0, according to the banner in the CC EXEC) successfully with the problem version of RPCGEN. The current generation C/C++ compiler persists in coughing up furballs despite the good example set by it's predecessor.

The problem occurred both before and after LE was rebuilt during the install of the latest RSU.

I'll open up a PMR for further pursuit, and post a follow-up note to the list once the issue is resolved.

Again, thanks to all who have responded!

-dan.