From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU]On
Behalf Of Jim Bohnsack
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 2:33 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VSE/ESA, Z890, Ficon Express2, and a DS8100 question

I can't help you with the fine print, but if the difference is the code
path that's gone thru for mdisks vs. dedicated or attached, perhaps you
could use full-volume mdisks.
Jim

At 03:21 PM 3/31/2006, you wrote:
>We need to confirm that VSE/ESA V2R6 running under z/VM V5R2 on
>2086-A04(z890 Model 230) to an IBM 2107(DS8100) over FICON Express2
>attached channels will be supported. The 3390 logical volumes
>(3390-3) on the 2107(DS8100) will be ATTACHed (DEDICATEd) to the VSE/ESA
>V2R6 virtual machines.
>
>A simplier statement would be "Will VSE/ESA 2.6 running under ZVM 5.2
>with dedicated dasd on a DS8100 work?" The DS8100 is connected to the
>Z890 with FICON Express2 channels.
>
>I've read the DS8100 manual and does mention VSE/ESA 2.6 is not
>supported in the hardware configuration above.
>
>The IBM support people just told us that VSE/ESA 2.6 DEDICATED or
>ATTACHED  dasd is not supported. They went on to say MINIDISK dasd is
>supported.
>
>Can someone help me with the fine print??  This is not how I intended to
>end the week,\....
>
>Thanks and have a good weekend.

>Jim Hughes
>"Impossible is just an opinion."

Jim Bohnsack
Cornell Univ.
(607) 255-1760

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed VSE-List messages and set aside VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com