Greetings Don,

Is this on z/VM 5.1.0 or 5.2.0?  Your note mentions both.

Also, is the IPL trying to use ECKD or SCSI disks?  If the latter, we have noticed some long IPLs if a one-to-one relationship is established between FCP subchannels and SCSI LUNs in the system configuration.  Doing so is really overkill, as the fibre can handle connections to multiple LUNs with no problems, and it takes a lot of resources to establish so many unique FCP connections.

Regards,
           Eric

Eric Farman
z/VM I/O Development
IBM Endicott, NY

Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

04/12/2006 04:28 AM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: Problems IPLing z/VM 5.1 from EMC DASD

On 4/12/06, Don W. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We have been experiencing long delays when IPLing z/VM 5.2 from an EMC DM
> 3000 DASD unit. Has anyone else seen this problem or are we missing somet
> hing?

I recall that long IPL times normally is when the IOCP defines a lot
of devices on some control unit that does not properly tell that these
devices are not there.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij