-----Original Message -----
 From: Stephen Frazier
 Sent: 04/17/2006 02:54 PM
I said that Alan probably knows what the real reason is that IBM will not license z/VM V5 on Flex to commercial users. He may not know, but that is unlikely. IBM will not tell their customers why they will not sell them a license to run z/VM V5.

At WAVV on Saturday a salesman from IBM tried to sell me z/VM V5. I told him yes get me the paperwork. The rest of Saturday and all day Sunday he kept telling me that he was having problems but would have something shortly. Finally he said that he wasn't allowed to sell me the license and that no one would tell him why. He also said that there was no written policy at IBM saying he can't sell it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

As you well know the Flex is a z/Architecture box. Many developers run
z/VM V5
on it today. This you know also. IBM will not allow commercial users

license
z/VM V5 on a Flex machine. You probably know the reason but for some
reason you
will not tell your customers the truth.

Easy there, Stephen. Alan's telling what he can vouch for, and has
influence with. He's not Mr Hardware Sales policy (if he was, hardware
sales policy would probably be a LOT saner than it is, or at least
COMPREHENSIBLE by normal mortals), and at least he's trying to listen.
Having done battle with the POK hardware people once myself (to get the
layer 2 OSA stuff released), they can be pretty tough to move once they
get an idea into their heads...

On Sunday, 04/16/2006 at 04:46 EST, Stephen Frazier