Wasn't that the one with the single read/write head on an arm that would do a seek to the platter before it started going after the rec.  If I remember correctly, CE's would normally keep a big pan underneath to catch the constant drippings of hydraulic oil.  I remember something like that, altho it may have been the S/360 reincarnation of the 2nd generation drive, just as the 2311 bore a striking resemblance to a 1311.
Jim

At 02:34 PM 4/25/2006, you wrote:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C66896.F17B2D44

And I thought I was the only one left that remembered the six foot tall disk
drive on the RAMAC 305.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [ mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU]On
Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:13 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM I/O Concurrency

Regards,
Richard Schuh

. Again, this is a HARDWARE restriction that goes back to the dark ages of
s/360.

Or farther. Anyone remember the disks used by the 1410 (the model number
escapes me, as do so many things of late) or the RAMAC 305? Besides, the
S/360 introduced "The Age of Enlightenment", didn't it?
--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

  _____

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed 3894 VSE-List messages and set aside
2216 VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!   www.ellaforspam.com
< http://www.ellaforspam.com>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C66896.F17B2D44

And I=20 thought I was the only one left that remembered the six foot tall disk = drive on=20 the RAMAC 305.