OK, I meant how do I get to the panel that I see at second level when I IPL from HMC. This panel has the option to specify alternate config. Yes, this is the one where you press PF10.

Currently I IPl with SYSC as load parameter.

So, I see that SALIPL lets you customize IPL module and that may include the panel?

I see that I am getting more confused. The instructions on p238-239 of "SYSTEM OPERATION" of 5.10 even talks about punching cards! Either tape or cards! No disk!

David Kreuter wrote:
Do you mean by "dont get to the SAPL screeen" that you get the warm and firendly copyright and zvm IPLs without having to hit PF10? If yes you are taking the defaults burnt into SAPL. To get the SAPL screen when you IPL your LPAR you need to specify LOADPARM xxxx where xxxx is a "3270" (real, SYSC, ICC). You can't be IPLing zvm without using SALIPL - either it goes to copyright/IPL, SAPL screen or a disabled wait state.
The CPLOAD MODULE is not bootable, er, I mean not IPLable.

The SALIPL MODULE is used to burn IPL text and the sapl loader onto a disk. SALIPL doesn't IPL.
David
Ranga Nathan wrote:

Is it possible to specify FN=file name to choose alternate config file during IPL on the HMC IPL panel when bringing up z/VM 5.1? Yes, I am aware that I can do it on SAPL but I dont get to the SAPL screen.

It looks like I have to install the SALIPL module before I can use it. I do find the SALIPL module on MAINT's 190. I am a little confused by the SALIPL installation instructions.

We dont have tape access from z/VM.

Thanks ...

--
Ranga Nathan