Thanks guys - I can now report some further information -

FCP connected tapes, unlike FCP connected DASD, are not usable under z/VM.  I understand they are defined to the system, but as of 5.2 - the code necessary to make them available is just not there. (That is a $140K bite out of my rear end... *sigh* )

However, they are available to Linux guests - at least the documentation says they are. There seems to be a totally arcane methodology of connecting them within Linux that I will be decoding over the next couple days. If anyone is interested, I'll write up a few paragraphs and
post it once I get the so-and-so things to talk to each other.

Heck, this is getting critical here due to some time frames that got seriously compressed by delayed equipment deliveries. If anyone is in Austin and wants to take a crack at 'em - let me know.  I suspect I will be at work all weekend...   :)

-Paul