(I wrote)

>>VAX uses a two level system where page tables are paged.
>>There is kernel space, which isn't paged and holds the first
>>level tables referencing pagable second level tables.

>>z/Archtecture has three levels.
(someone else wrote)

> Actually, z/Architecture has 5 levels. So far,
> the existed hardware only uses 3 of them.

I thought of that right after sending it.

Above the addressing within a page, it is, more or
less, 10 bits per level.  (For S/370, one could consider
the 32 bit addressing for the 360/67, which is fairly
similar.)

For an undergrad operating system course I did a report
comparing S/370 and VAX virtual memory systems (around the
time when VAX was new).  I remember finding more similarities
than differences, especially both using the two level system.

So for 64 bit addressing of 4K pages, (64-12)/10 is about five.
Allowing the hardware to use three until more addressing bits
are needed is a nice feature.

-- glen