On Monday, 05/15/2006 at 06:09 EST, Karl Severson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I think the next logical question I need to address is who do I have to
> contact in order to find out if our current operating system is approved
or
> approvable for PL2 operation? Or maybe that's a question for our
corporate
> security people to take to the Defense Security Service.

Yes, take it to DSS.  Only they can rule on whether your system is
permitted to operate in PL2.

As was said before, no release VM/ESA never received a formal evaluation
by DoD for an ITSEC C2 or B1 certification, though it was designed to meet
those criteria.  The same designs were carried into z/VM 5.1 which has
Common Criteria EAL3+ against the LSPP (Labeled Security Protection
Profile, similar to B1).  Chapter 8 of NISPOM sets its own standards and
does not indicate whether a B1/LSPP system meets the requirements of PL2
operation.

VM/ESA 2.3 with RACF does have mandatory access controls (seclabels) to
enforce the need-to-know (information compartmentalization) and security
clearances required by B1/LSPP.  You should obtain all current service for
RACF as it now includes pre-defined seclabel of SYSNONE for users like
TCPIP that act as an extension of CP.  And even though your VM/ESA system
is no longer in service, RACF 1.10 still is.

Naturally IBM currently recommends the Common Criteria feature of z/VM 5.2
(which ships the certified z/VM 5.1 to you).  The z/VM 5.1 Secure
Configuration Guide can be found at
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=pub1sc24613801.  This book
tells you how to configure VM and RACF for LSPP (B1) and CAPP (C2)
operation.

If your own people or anyone at DSS has a question on this, please have
them e-mail or call me directly.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Security Guy
IBM Endicott