In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Anne & Lynn Wheeler  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Was there an acronym/initialism for this COMMON area?  My memory of
>> doing junior-level systems work on MVS systems is telling me that
>> there was one, but not what.   ?
>
>"common segment" ... having started out as a 1mbyte "shared" segment
>in every address space.
>
>the hardware table look-aside buffers (TLBs) were STO (virtual address
>space) associative. the result was that there were unique entries for
>the same common segment entries from different virtual address spaces.
>
>in the early 80s, some of the high-end hardware started adding special
>TLB treatment for the MVS "common segment" ... so that there would
>only be one set of TLB entries for MVS common segment areas across all

common segment area, common segment area ....

Aha!  "CSA" is the acronym/initialism I was trying to remember.
(A quick Google search turns up several other alleged expansions --
"common system area", "common storage area", "common service area" --
but maybe we shouldn't worry about that.)

Thanks.

--
B. L. Massingill
ObDisclaimer:  I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.