I'm almost done coding my EOV processing for my DDR based backup system.

I, too, stack multiple DDR dumps on tape and never know when I'll hit
EOV.  I don't have a commercial tape management product at this site, so

I've coded my own specifically to work with DDR's & EOV processing.

The long-term key is being able to take the drive away from the userid

running DDR when it reaches EOV.  I recently openned an APAR with IBM
after I got DDR to abend while trying to steal the tape drive at EOV (I

issued a HALT I/O in order to allow GIVE or DETACH to succeed).  I don't

have a VTS or ATL to interface with, but once I can steal the drive
without abending DDR,then interfacing to any TLMS should probably be
straightforward.

In the meantime, I can do it with stand-alone 3590's (telling the operato
what tape to mount, but not yet updating the 3590 operator display panel)

and my DDR process interacting with my home grown TLMS.

Basically, my DDR process tells my TLMS to start monitoring that userid

(via SET OBSERVER).  My TLMS runs PROP and watches for the EOV message

HCPERP2233I.  At EOV my TLMS currently tells the operator what tape to

mount.  In the future I plan on stealing the drive at EOV to update the

3590 operator display panel, and this would also be the point that
commands could be issued to a real TLMS/VTS/ATL to mount a tape.  Once th
tape is mounted DDR continues the DUMP.  My DDR process examines the DDR

output and notices that EOV processing occurred and queries my TLMS to

find out what tape number got mounted.  My DDR process then continues wit
the remaining volumes it has been requested to DUMP.  At completion my DD
process tells my TLMS to stop monitoring it for EOV messages.

I still have some major enhancements to make to my DDR process, but it

works quite nicely as is - at least for this shop.  There are several
things I still need to do before others would find it suitable.

Brian Nielsen