Mike Walter wrote:
Ed,

Paging and Spooling I/O uses "seldom ending" channel programs for good performance. If any other I/O happens to that device, it interrupts the paging or spooling channel program, decreasing performance. Since you have noticed that you need more page space, you must be doing more paging - hence you may not want to interrupt the paging I/O channel programs.
Interestingly enough, that sort of code is being removed from z/OS, due to the use of caching controlers and SAN DASD, where the disk is no loger one physical device, and it is just as fast to redrive the I/O than have it sitting around.

Kim Goldenberg

State of NJ - OIT