Rich Seifert (who worked on the original 10Mbit ethernet)
in his "Gigabit Ethernet" book has some explanation about this.

Token Ring requires more complicated hardware, keeping the
price higher.  The higher price reduces demand, making it harder
to reach the economy of scale point.

There is a lot of hardware to manage tokens, create one if the
active token is lost, etc.  Also, TR has a priority system allowing
eight priority levels.  There is no system to manage or assign priority,
so everyone uses the highest priority level, making the extra hardware
useless.

There is a story about a conference where IBM announced the TR
card for the original IBM PC.  Someone asked about ethernet, and
the speaker suggested that if one found an ethernet card for
less than $200, buy it.  The next speaker was from 3com announcing
the 3C501 for $199.  (I believe I have the prices right, but it
has been some time since I first heard this.)

-- glen