-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Richard Schuh
> Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 3:53 PM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: Re: the IND LOAD command
>
> Steve Gentry wrote:
>

>> On VM 4.3 when the IND LOAD was issued it returned, among pieces of
>> info, the percentage (IIRC) of
>> how much main memory was being used, i.e, Storage Utilization.  The
>> IND LOAD command in 5.2 does not provide this
>> information anymore.  Is this info provided by some other command or
>> is it lost to the annals of
>> history?
>>
>> Steve G.
>
> I do not think the number was what you think it was. It was not % of
> main storage in use. It was a basically meaningless mythical number that
> was of no use. That is why it has been deleted from the display.

Actually, the STORAGE number had a very well-defined meaning.  It was just
useless for any form of performance management.

<tutorial type=brief>
  The number represented the percentage of pagable storage occupied by the
pages of in-queue users.  Since most users -- even active ones -- spend much
of their time not in-queue, it tended to under-report the amount of storage
used/needed (slightly or badly, depending on the workload).  How many times
have we seen the question "My storage utilization is only nn%.  Why is my
system paging?" on this list?
</tutorial>

                                        Marty