On Wednesday, 06/21/2006 at 06:28 AST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > In the books I cant't find a smt config configuration statement that
> allows me to
> > use ipmailername instead of a ipmaileraddress. Is there a way to do it
> anyhow ???
>
> Not that I know of, or at least not with the VM SMTP code. The way
> IPMAILERADDRESS is implemented, you have to turn off DNS resolution for
> SMTP in order to force VM SMTP to deliver everything consistently to the
> IPMAILERADDRESS destination rather than trying to deliver it directly to
> the final destination. When you turn off DNS resolution, you lose the
> ability to use a name instead of the IP address. Several of us have
> reported this as a bug in the past, but it's never bubbled up to the
> surface as important enough to fix, as it's documented to work this way.

z/VM 5.1 and 5.2 customers will be interested in APAR PK07003.  It adds
two things:
- IPMAILERADDRESS ALL (you no longer need the DNS hack)
- IPMAILERADDRESS hostname (incl. the LIST option)

>-IPMAILERADDRESS-+-----+-+-+-ip_address-+-------------------+>
                  |     | | |            |                   |
                  '-ALL-' | '-hostname---'                   |
                          |                                  |
                '---------'                                  |
                '-LIST---+-ip_address-+-+-ENDIPMAILERADDRESS-'
                         '-hostname---'

I will warn you up front that "hostname" is resolved only once.  If the IP
address changes, you have to issue SMSG commands to reprocess the queue.

I like IPMAILERADDRESS ALL the best and use it to point to my Linux
gateway that, as you point out, has much better capability.