Thomas Kern wrote:

Untested but try this. "PIPE AHELP SORT" for more information.

/* */
arg infn inft infm outfn outft outfm
"pipe <" infn inft infm "| sort unique 1.20 | >" outfn outft outfm
exit

/Tom Kern

--- "Wakser, David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

All:

        Is there a "simple" method of finding (and possibly deleting)
records in a CMS fixed-length file whose first 20 characters are the same?
For example, if I have 5 records whose first 20 characters are the same, is
there a method of recognizing them and possibly dropping specific ones?

        The only idea I came up with was to sort the file and manually
"read" through (with EXECIO) and check them. Is there an easier way that I
am missing?

        This needs to be done from a Rexx EXEC.

David Wakser
InfoCrossing
Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, including any attachment to it, may
contain material that is confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or
"Protected Health Information," within the meaning of the regulations under
the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996. If it is not
clear that you are the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this transmittal in error, and any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail, including any attachment to it, is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your system. Thank
you.