Too much ..  thanks to everyone that had something to add.
I think I'll just write up a requirement for IBM to add a QUIET option to all commands.. ie REL Z (DET QUIET
Tom
-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:48 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: a really little pipe question

While Pipes is an extraordinarily powerful tool, there is overhead involved in each Pipeline setup and teardown.

In this particular case the overhead is pretty minimal, but if an EXEC starting a Pipe is heavily used, poorly written, or repeated  Pipe startup/teardown is unavoidable for some business reason, then one should be aware of the effect.

REXX's "parse" command is very powerful, too, without the startup/teardown overhead.  It's a nifty tool to have in your toolbox (keeping in mind the tendency to think that if all you have in your toolbox is a wrench, everything looks like a pipe).  :-)

Here an alternate using "parse":

parse value diag(08,'QUERY SET') with . 'IMSG' Imsg_set .
'CP SET IMSG OFF'
'RELEASE X (DET' /* <--- Performance, personal, clarity preference to always enter FULL commands in EXECs */
'CP SET IMSG' Imsg_set
All back to normal

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates

"Richard Feldman (WFF)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

07/11/2006 02:50 PM

Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: a really little pipe question

Never assume:
'Pipe CP Q SET | split at ',' | locate /IMSG/ | specs w2 1 | var
imsg_set'
'CP SET IMSG OFF'
'REL X (DET'
'CP SET IMSG 'Imsg_set