On this posting, I am in total agreement with Mike. I think that I have Doherty's paper in an old issue of the IBM Systems Journal somewhere. By the way it was Ralph Doherty (and I'm not sure that Doherty is the correct spelling). I wrote a paper in 1972 while working on my Univ. of Chicago MBA that was along those same lines. I based it on a class I had at IBM's SRI in NYC that was, I think, earlier than Doherty's paper. Got an "A" on the paper and an "A" for the course based on the paper.
Jim