Apologies for missing this thread earlier. Please look at
http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/z890.html

There was been a lot of confusion in this area, and I'm responsible
for some of the confusion. To comment on a few of the side threads:
- Do not hold breath for BASIC mode to return. In order to be
cost effective in bringing things such as Logical channel sets, LPAR
is required. Just one example.
- The 80/20 rule for combating SIE breaks in the multi-level
environments is I/O. Trading off memory for I/O is usually the best
approach. There are other games one could play, but the return on
investment usually doesn't pay off.
- Even the new assists do not all apply to VM on VM on LPAR
- A second level VM running as V=V on a VM in BASIC mode will take
the vSIE hit as well.

Bill Bitner - VM Performance Evaluation - IBM Endicott - 607-429-3286